teenage drug abuse

Friday, August 21, 2009

Some quick statistics on the drug use amongst our youth

I read some interesting static’s today. They are astounding to me.

For example, did you know that every day, approximately 4,700 American youth under the age of 18 try marijuana for the first time? Since I intend to get my butt over to some schools this year let me put this into the “schools theme’s” perceptive. That is about equal to the enrollment of six average-sized U.S. high schools. Crazy huh?

In 2003, nearly nine out of 10 twelfth graders reported marijuana as being easily accessible. I don’t recall it being so easy to get when I was younger, but then again, I wasn’t looking for it while in high school. However, I can recall hearing that it was there if I wanted it.

Here’s another on for you. By the time students finish the eighth grade, approximately 50 percent of them have had at least one drink, with more than 20 percent of them having been “drunk.” Scary to know that becoming drunk for me the first time did actually happen while I was in the 8th grade and I can recall it opening many doors for my addiction

Drug and alcohol use by teens increases the risk of addiction and can change the developing brain for life. Despite these statistics, one thing remains true:

Our parents are the most important influence in a teen’s decisions about drug use. You can and do make a difference. If you suspect or know that your child using drugs, take action now, because the longer you wait, the harder it will be to deal with your child’s drug use and in some circumstances, it may be too late.


Super Star
http://www.superstarsuperstar.com/
http://www.weareoneonline.com/

1 comment:

  1. I agree to your statement "Our parents are the most important influence in a teen’s decisions about drug use". Family intervention is very important in this kind of situation to one's life.

    ReplyDelete