teenage drug abuse

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Could pot be a problem for anyone? Sure can!

Could pot be a problem for anyone? Sure can!

My view on pot is probably a little less traditional than how most recovering addicts feel about it. I am neither for nor against its legalization, simply because I just do not do it. And since its illegal in almost every state, I do not want to be associated with. I got enough problems to worry about, the last thing I need is to get charged with marijuana possession. I do agree though that pot is not a problem for some and for those that need it for medical purposes, well then they should be allowed access to it. After all, who are we to tell anyone that they should suffer if they have an option not to? However, pot can become an issue for many and become very dangerous. It can even ruin lives. I have seen it first hand in rehab and this email below only confirms my statement. So let us address it.


Dear Super Star,

I need some advice. Help for someone who will not stop smoking pot and is on the verge of loosing everything he owns and loves because of it! I know that he will not quit until he wants to, but I have been trying to get him to quit for years. How do I make him want to quit? He sees his world has fallen apart, has legal issues now and he still won’t stop. It hurts to see him throw his life away like this. He becomes very sarcastic and down right nasty if I suggest counseling. Any suggestions? Help!

Thanks,

-Anonymous

Well anonymous, the unfortunate situation you have to face is that you cannot convince anyone to stop anything. That all has to come from within the one struggling with the addition. To motivate change, one needs a reason. Sometimes it takes rather unfortunate circumstances and consequences for the abuser to stop their drug of choice. However, for some, the trouble they find themselves in is not enough to convince them to do otherwise. This of course is where the professionals often come in, rehabs, drug abuse counselors, etc. An important tool that my brother and I are trying to convey is the tool of “success” that can come from abstinence. Getting an addict to see that success can be found only while sober has helped many that we have met with; decide to at least try it. Help him identify his passion and use that as a tool to help them get excited and enthusiastic about their purpose in life. For me it was helping others with a little music thrown in the mix. For him it may be something different, but whatever it is, have him find it and focus his energies on what makes him happy.

There of course is a lot more to your situation and it’s not as easy to fix as I make it sound. You have to remember, most addicts become so because they have trouble dealing with their feelings, therefore, they use drugs a medicine to help cover them up and sweep them under the carpet, then of course get addicted to the process and the substance itself. INSERT – ADDICTION! That is when experienced professionals can step in and help those that cannot help themselves see that it does not have to be like that any longer. Its never too late to learn how to deal properly with the situations and emotions that life throws at you. However, not everyone is in his or her addiction so deep. Some just need a budge in the right direction and are already in a position to absorb the essential life skills and tools from recovery environments such as AA or NA meetings, books, or even the Rock Star Super Star story, etc.

As far as his nastiness is concerned when your trying make him see that you’re just trying to help. Ignore what is left of it and stop trying so hard. Easier said than done I know. Especially of you’re a mom! The best thing you can do though is to not let yourself become the abused. If he is at a point that the mere mention of him needing help gets him to become irate, then stop making the suggestions. He needs to falter and trip on his own doings. Stop Stop Stop. From an addict’s perspective, it’s just going to develop more unfair resentments towards you and from your point of view; well you just don’t deserve that kind of treatment. If he gets caught, let him go to jail, if he wrecks his car, do not buy him a new one. I am sure you get the point. Remember, he needs a reason to stop, so let him find it and do not take it away from him when he does.

I hope this helps!

If you have any questions you would like to ask Super Star, send me an email at super@superstarsuperstar.com. In addition, don’t forget to pre-order our copy of Serenity from the www.rockstarsuperstarproject.com website. It’s a great way to get the message to the importance of sobriety if your not one who likes to be lectured or read a book! Check out the sample below.



-Super Star

PS. If you think this could help someone, please pass it on!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Super Star,

    Perhaps you can answer a question that I've had for a few years now. One of my best friends became addicted to heroin and he cut off all contact with me shortly before things got worse. I believe now that he is recovering, and has been for some time (don't know for how long exactly because we have not seen each other in a few years). Recently, we exchanged some long emails, but he never seemed to want to make the effort to see me, or would make excuses why I couldn't see him when I suggested it. Our friendship had once been based on telling one another the ugly truth, and being really honest with one another. So finally, I asked him straight out if he wanted a friendship with me again. He did not reply and I did not hear from him again.

    I've heard that those in recovery take some time to gain back the friends they once had before, and most friends they had do not reach out to them again. Can you help me understand why this person seems so indifferent to a friendship with me? I don't expect our relationship to ever be the same, and I've expressed that I do not hold the past against him. Other than wanting my best friend back, I've also just wanted answers for years, or even just some sense of understanding. I am begging for your advice and perspective to help me understand what factors make it difficult for someone recovering to accept open arms from someone who was once a very close friend.

    ~Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please email me at super@superstarsuperstar.com so I can reply to you directly, Id love to answer this for you!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi LaEspia,

    First off, that is a great name!

    I am so glad you reached out. I am no doctor but I do have the life experiences that one cannot be trained for, therefore I think I can help you in regards to your question. Most love my advice so take it as it is and I hope it helps!

    First off, I am so glad he cleaned up and is now in recovery. If that still holds true then I am very excited for him and hopeful that your friendship will blossom.

    Why is he not answering your emails anymore? Well LaEspia. I wish I could guess. It does seem a bit weird that he replied to your every email and then left you hanging on your last question. Maybe something happened to him. Maybe he no longer has access to the internet. Maybe he is in jail? There could be some reasonable explanations as to his behavior or missing in action status.

    However, maybe he decided that there was something stressful about the communication between the two if you. Maybe he has a girlfriend that got upset? Im just not sure. If he is that early in recovery, the case could be that he is having a hard time letting anyone in his new fragile world at the moment. He will need time to reconnect on a level that you desire him to. Maybe there is something about talking with you that isn’t feeling right for him at this time? Maybe he just wants space and wants everyone to back off while he recoups from his losses and deals with his consequences, which can be tough.

    OR…..

    The worse case scenario is he is using again. Maybe he is pulling a disappearing act because he is off getting high? I just don’t know because we don’t know where he is.

    He is probably a great guy and is at a stage of just trying to figure out what’s next for him in his life. During this time, most addicts are figuring out who they are again and who they even want to have back in their life.

    I’d reach out again. Let him know nothing more than you want to have a relationship with him and that you are there to talk with him when he is ready. Don’t even bring up the past or why he was what he was. Don’t talk about drugs, don’t talk about anything that he “did” to you. It’s all about moving forward and letting him know that you want to be a part of the new him, if he accepts it. Addicts hate people that are pushy in any regards and absolutely despise the past constantly being up. Just be patient and send an occasional email to let him know your thinking about him…. If he wants to respond, he will. Its that simple.

    I hope this helps!

    -Super Star

    Rockstar Superstar Project.

    www.rockstarsuperstar.com

    ReplyDelete