teenage drug abuse

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Working out with your kids during recovery.

(Please subscibe to my blog if you like what you read and vist my website at www.superstarsuperstar.com!)

Working out with your kids during recovery.

Um yeah! No brainier. For your kids or for yourself. This is something that I find as a must. Now do not get any pre-misconceptions. When I say “working out”, THAT does not necessarily mean you have to be tied into a gym. Working out can be so many different things. Hiking, biking, walking, bowling, walking the dogs. Anything that involves even the slightest bit of strenuous activity is considered to be working out. I however prefer the gym! Let me tell you why it’s so important especially while early in recovery.

At its most basic level, working out makes you feel amazing! It makes you looks amazing and it makes your thinking a little less stinkin. No, really! While in rehab, we were shuttled to the gym five days a week. There is something so magical and powerful about having healthy endorphins, that drugs could never provide, rush through your body as you strengthen and sculpt your muscles. The fact that the treatment center was pro health and provided every opportunity for us to heal and thrive only proved to me that someone somewhere must have done some sort of study proving its benefits.

Working out was something I had started to do while in my second week of recovery and I have no doubt in my mind that it has been a cinder block in my success. It has cleared my mind from cravings on numerous occasions and has built up my self-confidence to a level that even my brother is envious of.

To really drive home the point to the importance of working out and getting in shape, I am going to be riding a bike starting Oct 6th from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. Its going to be brutal but so was my effort of getting sober, so what? Im going to do it despite almost 100% of people telling me I wont have a chance in hell at crossing the finish line. When you believe in yourself you can do whatever the heck you want in this world providing you are healthy enough to attempt it

So if you or your child is in recovery from substance abuse, get them outside or to the gym. Because they are recovering addicts, in no time they will get excited about the changes they are seeing and let their enthusiasm take them to the next day, sober.

Super Star
www.weareoneonline.org

No comments:

Post a Comment