teenage drug abuse

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Lead by example

Man have I been busy! UGH! Some BIG BIG things are about to happen and it’s had me side tracked for a few days preparing for all that is to come. But never in my life have I ever been more involved and compelled to help in anyway I can to make a difference in someone’s recovery.

I was in a local shopping center this morning and someone approached me and asked me a question. The question, “Besides peer pressure, what would you say is another contributing factor to a child’s desire to experiment with drugs/alcohol?

Well there are tons of reasons that contribute to someone’s desire to use drugs. Of course most of the time, they are used a as coping mechanism. I would say this is the most common reason for a child, or even an adult to pick up. However, kids often times pick up bad habits from watching the very same people that are telling them “not to”. Their own parents

Your addictive behavior puts your child at risk. In fact, parental behavior is the top influence on a child's later behavior. The link between parental addictive behavior and risk to their children of developing addictive behaviors is well established. Rather than telling your child to “do as I say, not as I do,” which is ineffective, practice moderation in your own life. You will increase the chances that your child will do the same.

So lead by example. Be watchful of your own behaviors. Even the most subtle of them are instilling the ideas in your kids minds, if your doing it, then they can too.

Until next time

Super Star
www.weareoneonline.org

No comments:

Post a Comment