teenage drug abuse

Monday, November 8, 2010

How do you know if you are an addict?

Be sure to visit our other Teenage Drug Abuse Articles below! Want updates? Enter your email on the right side of this page.

How do you know if you are an addict?

This isn’t a question for me! I already know I am. Although as I mentioned in a previous blog, I prefer as having a substance use disorder.

I do recall the moment I first asked myself this question. It’s a question that all of us addicts have to ask eventually and one that we have to answer truthfully in order to start addressing our addiction and work towards our recovery. For me, my own answer to this question came easily, but for some; years of denial can get in the way of the honest answer that we know must come in order to begin healing.

So how do you know if you suffer from substance use disorder?

Generally, people that are not addicts do not have to even ask themselves this question. If they do, they are able to stop, take a look at their behavior, and correct it. Addicts generally cannot do this. We try and try and try again, but each time fail miserably. This is the difference between an addict and someone who isn’t. So if you are trying to stop your drinking and/or drug use, and are failing over and over again to do so, you’re already in addiction.

Here is how I finally figured out.

Every time I’d try to stop, I couldn’t.

I just couldn’t. I didn’t know how. I didn’t have the tools, or even the confidence to stop. Every time I tried, I’d be back at it a few hours later. It didn’t matter if there were consequences or not, I just couldn’t stay away from my drug of choice no matter how hard I tried.

I’d try and try again, only to have myself tell me over and over again that I could always stop tomorrow if I wanted to. That I just needed to do it “One more time.”

That is addiction!!

I hated discovering I was an addict, but later I would learn that understanding my addiction would lead me to discover myself and see that the person I was running from all those years wasn’t such a bad guy after all.

Below is a good test, I invite you to try it. If you answer “YES” to THREE or MORE, then you may be very close to developing a drug or alcohol problem.

1. Have you ever decided to stop drinking or drugging for a week or even a few days, but only to break your promise to yourself or your family?

2. Do you wish people would mind their own business about your drinking and drugging?

3. Have you ever switched from one kind of drink or drug to another thinking that this would help you get “in control of your life”?

4. Do you ever drink or drug in the morning?

5. Do you envy people who can use alcohol or drugs without getting in trouble?

6. Have you had problems connected with drinking or drugging during the past few months?
7. Has your drinking or drugging caused trouble in your family or at home?

8. Do you ever try to get “extra” drinks or drugs at a party because you do not get enough?

9. Do you tell yourself you can stop using alcohol or drugs any time you want, even though you keep getting high when you do not want to?

10. Have you missed days of work or school because of your using alcohol or drugs?

11. Do you have “blackouts”, where you cannot remember when you’re drunk or high?

12. Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not use alcohol or drugs?

Answering questions like this is the first step in getting help and stopping the insanity of addiction. Don’t put off or avoid them anymore.

If you have gotten to the bottom of this blog and have now answered yes to the question “Am I an addict?” , then ask for help TODAY. This will be the beginning of the road that will lead you to your true identity and I promise you, it’s going to be a person that you love more than you ever imagined you would.

Got a question for me? Enter your email on the right side of this page.

About me: I am Super Star (yes, that is my legal name). I have earned that name – and accomplished what many people would consider impossible – because I chose to stay sober one day at a time. I left the crack houses to mingle with Hollywood’s elite, ending up working with all of my childhood musical heroes, and have now found my purpose in life after surviving an almost 15-year battle with the disease of addiction.

Currently, I am an advocate for kids in recovery from substance abuse (and prevention as well) in Malibu, California, as well as from my home in Chicago, a sober companion to many, director of a non-profit that helps those struggling with recovery, and passionate speaker to kids about the issues of drugs and addiction.

I am also an author and musician. I am currently finishing my work on the book, “The First 30 Days to Serenity: The Ultimate Survival Guide to Staying Sober,” which can be pre-ordered here. I have also just wrapped up the recording of Serenity, a first-of-its-kind CD created in conjunction with my twin brother Rock Star solely to combat addiction. “Serenity,” was produced by a Grammy-winning producer and features many of our musical heroes, who have come together to help us tell our story in an effort to help others through their own addiction struggles. Guests on our CD include current and former members of bands such as Kiss, Heart, The Goo Goo Dolls, Dokken, Trans-Siberian Orchestra as well as many more. It rocks – musically and inspirationally – and can be found here

Pass this on if you feel it can help someone and feel free to visit us at www.rockstarsuperstarproject.com

No comments:

Post a Comment